AUXILIARY PERSONNEL (Auxiliary Personnel includes Science Lab. Assistants, YCCW, YSW, SLP, Home and School Liaison, FSW, Crossing Guards and Student Supervisors, Welcome Centre Personnel and Strong Start Personnel).
There will be an important Auxiliary Department meeting on Wednesday, April 23rd, 3:30 pm, at the CUPE 379 Union Office ,102 – 4268 Lozells Avenue, Burnaby.
We will be electing the Auxiliary Shop Steward, the Bargaining Committee Representative as well as going over the bargaining proposals at this meeting.
**You must be present to vote.**
The term of office for the job steward position is May 2014 – April 2016.
Being a Shop Steward is a vital job.
A Shop Steward:
• receives training in collective agreement interpretation, conflict resolution, problem solving, etc.
• attends monthly CUPE Steward and Executive meetings
• is the link between the membership and the leadership of the local
• is primarily a problem solver who mediates disputes between members and represents members in meetings with teachers, principals and other administrators
• helps to resolve issues before they become full-blown problems
• ensures management lives up to its responsibilities under the collective agreement
• is a good resource of knowledge for coworkers and others with questions about the collective agreement, labour law, employer policies and how they should be applied
• has a keen interest in people and an enthusiasm for CUPE ideas and activities
• enjoys helping others and has the desire and initiative to look after the interests of fellow members
• passes on important information about union activities and encourages membership involvement in union activities
If you are interested in becoming the Auxiliary Shop Steward or Bargaining Committee Rep., or you would like to vote on who represents you… please attend the Auxiliary Department Meeting at 3:30 pm on Wednesday, April 23rd at the union office.
I look forward to seeing you!
(Your present Auxiliary Shop Steward)